Can I run a UK 240v appliance on US power & vice versa like so?

As I Understand it in the US electricity is supplied to a property in 2 live wires both are 110v but they are out of phase giving 220v (potential difference). Ok so the difference in the frequency 50/60hz can affect some electronics but for what i need it for it wont affect it. I understand that most people you... show more As I Understand it in the US electricity is supplied to a property in 2 live wires both are 110v but they are out of phase giving 220v (potential difference). Ok so the difference in the frequency 50/60hz can affect some electronics but for what i need it for it wont affect it.

I understand that most people you talk to especailly in electronics stores want you to buy a voltage converter which both costs a lot and doesnt handle that much power (kinda weird really since its just 2 coils of wire) but hey... I`m not an idiot with way too much money to waste on that stuff... after all cant I just:-

take the two 110v lines coming into a house and use them... my idea is basically to install a UK socket for use with my UK electronics, wire in the two live wires to the neutral and live with the ground ontop... Tell me someone why just simply doing that wont make everything work ok? (cost price <$1)

As for taking my applainces to the UK, my wife has a nebulizer... If I was to mesure the resistance using a multi meter and then install it onto a plug that has a resistor running in series between the two live wires into a standard uk plug (only for use with that) wouldnt that just sort the whole problem out and no need to have a step down? (cost price <$2)