Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Are movie theaters going to price themselves out of existence?

Today I went to see Geostorm, and I enjoyed the movie. The ticket was $12.50, and I was OK with that for 2 hours of entertainment.

But a bag of popcorn (a little bigger than a bag of microwave popcorn was $7.69. Nearly $8 for a bag of popcorn! And a regular sized soda was over $5.

That's $13 for for materials that probably doesn't cost the theater more than $1.50 total.

With big screen TV's in almost every house, $13 is an awful lot to ask for movie popcorn and a fountain soda.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In my theater, a small drink is 6$ and sometimes the tickets price will be up to 15$$. They have a special for 18$ for large popcorn and drink.... I honestly don't mind paying a bit more for the tickets, but it's the food that's wayyyyyy outrageously pricey!!!

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

I only go for real special Movies

I have always noticed a lack of faces

It is a dying trade, along with Circus's and Theatre

• 3 years ago

Yes, my closest multiplex will cost me £6 to get there. A standard ticket will cost £11.75. Popcorn and drink is similar price as well. So looking at over £20 but if i wait 6months i can get the film on blu ray.

I go to my local indie cinema, £6 a ticket

• Aidan
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

That's exactly how they stay in business, because people always buy popcorn and drinks. They can live off the ticket prices for the most part. I never buy popcorn and a drink but the only times there aren't people having it is when I'm the only one in the screen

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

from the looks of it, most money nowadays comes from world sales, not the US. Domestic theatres keep pushing prices further and further up, and I believe the process of closing has already begun.

• 3 years ago

i think they are already losing business. i rip movies and whatever else i can't get from there i get from NETFLIX. and who can beat a 9hr epic like Stranger Things 2? i mean really.

No offense to the multiplex but it better be AVATAR-like to get me in those seats. and last i went i had to deal with a crazy customer. i'm safer in my home and the selection is better. and if it sucks i can stop the movie and start something else.

Sure, this isn't exactly what i had in mind at the beginning but movie theaters have a very different crowd us older types simply don't like.

• 3 years ago

Makes you wonder, it also depends on the time of day that you go, because aren't matinee shows more cheaper then say shows at night say after 6 PM. And plus that is the way how movie theaters know that they can make their money is also at the concession stand. And plus depending the size of popcorn and said is where they can really get you. If you stay at home, and watch a movie with microwave popcorn and a soda you can save money at that time, then say when you go to a movie theater, I would also say no if a lot of people love to hit the concession stand before entering the auditorium.

• ?
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

The snacks cost so much because 90% of your ticket price goes to the film company, not the theater owners. The only way theaters stay in business is through the concessions stand.

Sad, I know, and not fair to anyone.

• 3 years ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.