Tori asked in PetsOther - Pets · 3 years ago

Pets? Read description please..?

Was wondering, I really want a pet friend and as a minor I know I obviously have to ask my parents, but first i want to come up with a pet. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a balcony. My mom doesn't like dogs or cats or rodents (rodents especially) my dad likes larger dogs (not suitable for our apartment) and he doesn't like cats. I love cats, dogs, bunnies, hamsters, cute furry animals like that. I'm not a huge fan of reptiles... I go to school and come back at about 4, my mom comes at 6, and my dad comes at different times according to his schedule usually after 5. We're home on the weekends my dad is home on Wednesday. So any suggestions for these circumstances?

Favorite Answer

I think in your case, something like a small bird, budgie, or cockatiel would do nicely. Any of the sort you may want to cuddle, hug, pet, etc, I don't think would be suitable for your lifestyle. A pair of guinea pigs perhaps, not exactly rodents, a bit like rabbits..

Just looking for some little animal to care for and keep you company, some invertebrate tank animal(s)

Hermit crabs, land snails, Even spiders, doesn't have to be a big tarantula, the little jumping spiders are great little pets, even house spiders.

What ever animals you choose, I do suggest reading about keeping them so you know how to properly care for them and what to expect from any.

There are online keeping forums about all of these, a great place to read about particular animals.

get a parakeet

Guinea pig, rabbit, budgie, cockatiel.

Ask about a guinea pig, rabbit and tarantula.

• J C

Ask your mom what a 'rodent' is to her. If it's just a mouse-like critter, then perhaps a pair of Guinea Pigs, a hedgehog, a ferret, or sugar gliders might work. Rabbits are not the cuddly pets people think they are - they require a lot of handling and effort, but are very satisfactory pets for people who understand them and will put the time in to gently handling them. What about a bird? Small birds like parakeets can be very social, and the ones bit larger like conures and cockatiels are very social things. Our Sun Conure sat on our shoulders, did tricks and knew a ton of phrases and songs. Only problem with birds is that they cannot of course be house trained. Many reptiles make great pets - bearded dragons, iguanas. Talk with your mom and see what pets she LIKES. Make a list of lesser known ones, and be prepared to talk a bit about each one (habitat, food, cost for cage and pet). Good luck!