Are these red flags?

I met this guy recently who's shown interest in me, and I think he's really cute. The only problem is that we met through mutual friends/acquaintances who don't like him much for a number of reasons. He's apparently very egotistical, and he has a history with leading women on. There was a girl in... show more I met this guy recently who's shown interest in me, and I think he's really cute. The only problem is that we met through mutual friends/acquaintances who don't like him much for a number of reasons. He's apparently very egotistical, and he has a history with leading women on. There was a girl in our friend group who had a crush on him, and he bragged about having her "wrapped around his little finger." There was also another girl who he led on for months, and even went on a date with her, only to finally declare he had no interest in her. He later apologized for this, but only when our mutual friend made him. I've known these friends for a long time, they're very loyal and I trust them completely, but this guy seems so nice when he's around me so I don't know how he's capable of these things. He's made a point of saying he's genuinely interested in me, but I don't know if I should proceed with someone with a history like that, regardless of his claimed sincerity. Should I say no thanks or proceed with caution?
24 answers 24