Can you still be taxed after a portion of a stock was given to a university and they give you a refund?

So a long time ago my grandparents had created a stock for me and my siblings. We are all now in college and started using the stocks to pay for what our grants won t. This year I had a bill that I need just about 2000 for and asked my grandparents to cut a check for 2500. Inorder not to pay taxes you have to give... show more So a long time ago my grandparents had created a stock for me and my siblings. We are all now in college and
started using the stocks to pay for what our grants won t. This year I had a bill that I need just about 2000 for and asked my grandparents to cut a check for 2500. Inorder not to pay taxes you have to give the check from the stock account straight to the school. But if the school only takes out the 2000 and refunds the 500. Will I be taxed for the 500 at the end of this year?