Could me and all my co-workers do this prank without losing our jobs?

I work at Michaels Arts and Crafts. On black friday, every employee is scheduled to work at some point of the day or another. The store opens 6am that day. We were talking about how hillarious it would be if every one of us non-management employees, which is about 25 of us, just did a no call no show on black... show more I work at Michaels Arts and Crafts. On black friday, every employee is scheduled to work at some point of the day or another. The store opens 6am that day.

We were talking about how hillarious it would be if every one of us non-management employees, which is about 25 of us, just did a no call no show on black friday. Just for the hell of it and some lols.

Black friday comes, the store manager, the assistant manager and a couple department heads open, then they have a massive crowd of shoppers lined up, and no other employees.

This started off as a joke, but now we are actually thinking of doing it, giving ourselves the day off as a suprise and at random, none of us show up. As long as we are 25 strong in this.

Could we do this without losing our jobs?

Because what can the management do? Fire all of us, and have the store be without a staff right before the holiday shopping season?

That doesn't seem realistic. Look around and virtually every store has help wanted signs. It's no longer an employer's market, but a job seeker's market. In this economy retail employers pretty much take what they can get. No way they can replace us all fast.

And even if they did, I can say from experience that it takes a few weeks to get new employees fully trained and up to speed.

Basically to fire us all would be to close the store down for most of the holiday shopping season.

So could we all do this on black friday and leave management no choice but to begrudgingly keep us on staff?
Update: Its much easier for us to find other retail jobs then for them to replace us on such short notice to the extent they can keep the store open, especially during the holidays. During the great recession, employers had their pick of the litter, post a job ad for a cashier and people with college degrees would apply... show more Its much easier for us to find other retail jobs then for them to replace us on such short notice to the extent they can keep the store open, especially during the holidays.

During the great recession, employers had their pick of the litter, post a job ad for a cashier and people with college degrees would apply just to get their hands on any kind of income again.

Not the situation is reversed and retail employers are struggling to have a full staff and take what they can get.
13 answers 13