What to do about bigoted family members?

There are people in my family that are problematic (racist, sexist, transphobic, homophobic. etc.). I know I have the option to educate them but I've tried and they won't change their ways. Should I disown them? I get a lot of anxiety from this because I feel like a hypocrite. I'm against what they... show more There are people in my family that are problematic (racist, sexist, transphobic, homophobic. etc.). I know I have the option to educate them but I've tried and they won't change their ways. Should I disown them? I get a lot of anxiety from this because I feel like a hypocrite. I'm against what they believe in yet I am still close with them. I strongly believe in human rights/justice etc. The way they think is so wrong to me. They don't harm others or talk about their opinions to others but they do sometimes do it around me or when I'm home. It's not like it's just an aunt or uncle that I never see but it's my brother and my parents. My parents were raised a certain way to make them think the way they do and my brother is just plain conservative. What would you do? I'm having a hard time being happy around them when I know they're like this. I feel so guilty.
1 answer 1