Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 years ago

Do we say "I met him" or "I met with him"?

Favorite Answer

both but in different context...

I met him = you met him at the coffee shop...or you were once introduced to him and you shook hands.

I met with him = an appointment of some kind wherein you set up a time and at that time talked with him.

• John P

In Britain most people who I know or have heard would say "I met him". I find the notion of "meeting with" as a report of a personal encounter not natural for me, an oldish Briton.

But in some British news items it might be reported that, for instance, "Donald Trump met with the President of China".

• Jeff T

"I met him" usually refers to the first time you and he saw each other. 'I met with him" refers to when you and he had a conversation with each other, and has the subtle connotation that it was a business meeting. 'I met with him" means business. "I talked with him" means social.

• RP

The first means you made his acquaintance whereas the second means you spent some time (met) him. Either is correct, depending upon context and intent.

I met him

• LG2 years agoReport

Hello, Md Rezaul, I upvoted your answer because you are quite correct. I'm a native English speaker (from England), and in all cases the correct phrase would be "I met him," e.g. "I met him at work," "I met him to discuss a project," etc.

"I met with him" usually implies some purpose. I met with him to discuss the merger. I met with him to plan the party. Otherwise it's "I met him."

• The "with" is an Americanism.

Source(s): Two nations separated by a common language.