Why does Pope Francis not like traditionalist Catholics?

Pope Francis seems to have a dislike for traditionalist Catholics and is not a big fan of them.

Why is this?

Favorite Answer

He's the first pope to come up in the Church who was not from the pre-Vatican 2 era.

The holdover of the Latin Mass is problematic for him, I think. The Latin Mass uses the old liturgical calendar, not the new one; it follows that there are therefore two 'churches' if you will within the Catholic church today. It's a schism in the making, not an overnight one, but one that is slowly widening the gulf between those who want the doctrinal clarity and social stability of the pre Vatican 2 days. I think there will be, someday, a Latin Orthodox Church like there is a Greek Orthodox church in a few hundred years. There are already splinter 'churches' that have elected their own anti-Popes. And also some members of the SSPX are not receptive to their order reuniting with Rome under the current papacy.

i find this hard to believe , however some of these trads. have different views of how the church should be operating , give them time

Offer some evidence for your claim?

How do you see proof that he seems to dislike people who are, supposedly, obligated to obey him?

I disagree. So there is no question.

The conservative Catholic groups which are really upset with Pope Frances are those who want to keep the Vatican Counsel 1 traditions in place. They were rigid, very strict and didn't allow for a lot of breathing so to speak. Since Vatican 2 which we Catholics are under, some of the rules are a little more lax and not quite as judgmental as they once were. From what I've read, Pope Francis is more realistic about the changing times and realizes that some issues that were very important (who should or should not be allowed to take communion in the face of a divorce, Annulments for marriages that can't stay together mostly for adultery, and other things), are not as important as some other issues Pope Francis has brought to light. So many Catholics who want the Vatican 1 stance back are not happy. I for one am glad for Vatican 2. If it went back I would leave the church. Pope Francis seems to realize that some of the former strictness of the church has cause more problems and people to leave the church than come TO it, especially in these times. There are some good things about the Catholic Church, but a lot of the traditions are not biblical, but are just put forth by church law.

Have you met any traditionalist Catholics? Nobody likes them.

I've heard fewer people are attending churches. In my town almost no one does...people will for their kids, like for holidays, but going regularly is not a priority. At all. IDK if specifically Catholic churches would be different, but I've heard a lot of younger Catholics don't go to Mass anymore.

Most of them put the faith above public policy.

• Franny is, at best, a fascist..... more communist... he is, in"modern times" the most phony catholic to usurp the papacy......... proof of the corruption that is the so-called "catholic"(universal) so-called "church"

Maybe, his open-minded and is trying to understand today's society.