Taylor
Lv 5
Taylor asked in PetsCats · 3 years ago

How to tell if male cat is playing with, or attacking a small kitten?

I take care of an outdoor cat, and one of the neighborhood mama cats had another batch about 3 months ago, and they started coming out about a month ago, but I've only seen one lately.

The male cat I take care of is just under a year old, probably about 10-11 months old.

For the most part, he is okay with this kitten. He shares food, water, space, etc. Will smell, and 'clean' the kitten, etc.

However, he seems to be getting a little rough today. He just laid down, and did the wiggle, before running at the kitten, and kinda throwing him down, and biting on him. He was biting neck area, and kinda holding onto him. Then he stopped, and then did it again, on top of kitten, biting neck area.

He then stopped once again, and the kitten ran off, but not too far. Then came back.

I'm assuming he's just playing as the kitten doesn't seem to be scared of him, or meowing in pain or anything. I just can't tell if he biting roughly/hard, or just playful.

Any idea?? Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Laura
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If there is no noise, its playing.

Your male cat needs to be neutered. If his hormones have not kicked in yet, they will, and then he will be hurting the kittens and traveling far away to find females to mate with.

It is not a fun life being an outside cat, especially one who is ruled by hormones that tell him to fight all the time. Get him neutered and he will be much happier.

• 3 years ago

How old is the kitten and are you sure it's male? Sounds more like he's trying to MATE with the kitten.

You're hardly "taking care" of this cat if you keep letting her breed. Take her AND the kittens to a no-kill shelter and surrender them. They'll be altered and then found homes.

• 3 years ago

It could be that the kitten has reached sexual maturity or close to it. This is mating behavior. Or it could be humping behavior by the male. Either way get them spayed/neutered, otherwise you'll have kittens, kittens, and more kittens.

• 3 years ago

If he's biting and holding on and they're friendly enough to clean eachother, it's play. If it was an attack the kitten would definitely be dead by now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Sounds like play but usually older cats do not play. If the kitten or your cat growl or yowl, it is not play.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.