We just visited the Scandinavian countries and learned a lot! In Norway, they have DARKER longer NIGHTS, longer than USA, and they are the HAPPIEST PEOPLE in the WORLD #1. Denmark was #1 last year, but they are both in the Scandinavian countries, Sweden is right out there, ALSO included as one of THE HAPPIEST PEOPLE in the WORLD.
What helps them, ALSO HELPS ME, I live in Oregon, where we don't get long summers and a lot of rain:
1. On my covered porch, rain or snow, windy nights or days, I go for a WALK. I just bundle up and WALK. There, they ski!
2. If there's snow, BUILD A SNOWMAN. Clean the sidewalk, just play in the snow, that's a total workout! Drinking hot cocoa is always very comforting reward!
3. I'm old school, and I remember visiting my husband's grandmother living alone in her apartment. She & I would work on PUTTING PUZZLES together. (I do that with my grand daughter).
4. She would teach me how to make Granny Squares. I learned how to CROCHET in grade school, but never with YARNS. We made doilies, curtains, tablecloths, bed covers, etc. But she taught me how to make afghans or sweaters.
5. Right now, I have my own company, making flowers accessories & jewelry. I have a SORTING PARTY, where I lay all the sizes, pieces on a large table & pin them, so when they're ready to sew, they're sorted in how they will look - when done.
6. FAMILY GATHERINGS. We go to their house. They come to my house. My family is getting larger & the kids can now invite us to their homes.
7. We do a lot of VOLUNTEERING, yes specially during winter: For the Portland International Film Festival - (Feb..), AARP Taxes (Feb - April) for the low income. Salvation Army Rummage Sale (Tuesdays). PBS pledge drive.
8. During winter, for my company, I do about 9 events so I TRAVEL quite a bit.
9. Weekly, I walk a few blocks (no matter what weather), to visit the RETIREMENT COMMUNITY & I lead a prayer prayer group & visit with them, etc.
10. Going to mass 1-2x per week, specially during ADVENT we go to church, and I have a special role in our church.
11. I love to snuggle by the fire, or my heated bed. I catch up with A GOOD BOOK, until I fall asleep.
12. MOVIE MARATHON, eating garlic/olive oil popcorn with my hubby.
13. Last winter, I TOOK LOTS OF PHOTOS & VIDEOS days later, they were gone, but the memories of the beautiful winter wonderland are to be treasured forever!
The idea is to KEEP BUSY, so boredom doesn't give you cabin fever!
Living 52 years in OREGON, 52 years of doing volunteering. My company is heading to my 8th year. I was born during winter, so long dark winters never get me down, it is one of my favorite season of all!