When writing a nonfiction book, should you write the introduction first or last?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You should do what will work best based on your writing style. For instance, if writing the introduction first helps settle you down and give you focus, write it first. If it is too constricting, write it later.

Keep in mind that everything you write will have to be revised again and again and again. I don't mean just proofing individual words. I mean the whole book. It is very common for authors (especially first time authors) to write paragraphs, pages, and even whole chapters and then have to completely cut them out later. That's part of the writing process, and it is not a sign that anything is going wrong. A real author lets the book flower on its own. Something that you find yourself writing in chapter 8 will affect what's in chapter 3 and chapter 7. It will also influence what you thought would go into chapter 11, 14-16, and the conclusion. Then the introduction has to be rewritten. Again and again. And again.

So, just do what works for your writing process now. In the beginning of a writing project, the most important thing is to get started.

Good luck to you!

• Art
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Last, you don't really know what you are saying, why you are saying it or what it really means before you finish and look back. Actually write both and critique your original thoughts, that may be more critical and valid than the book itself.

• Jan
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

I would suggest to write the intro first.......but if it seems you should change it to another, do it when you polish/edit it. ...I suggest you sum it up and then pick a good intro then....or keep your first choice

• Athena
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Does it matter?

My guess is that you will change any introduction you write when you get into the actual material.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

don't write it at all let it write itself I mean it's a true story it's not like you can change it

• Tina
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

But if it's a chemistry text book you may have to.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Last. Write the conclusion first.

• 2 years ago

first

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.