Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 years ago

Is this translated properly? (French in imparfait and passe compose)?

Josée accepta de voyager avec eux à Percé. Le chapitre a commencé avec tout le monde dans la voiture, la conduite. Après avoir ignoré Jo, il a remarqué une voiture noire et un hélicoptère les suivant. Il s inquiétait à ce sujet. Après, ils ont trouvé une station service et se reposent là. C est là que Marc-André a rencontré Luce et Henri-François. Luce et Henri-François croyaient que Sophie et Hugo ne pouvaient pas être les parents de Marc-André. Après cela, ils conduisaient à nouveau jusqu à ce qu ils doivent s arrêter pour le gaz. Après une dispute, Marc-André et Jo se rendent compte que ses parents l oublient.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Pontus
    Lv 7
    2 years ago
    Best Answer

It's a hot mess. It's so bad that I strongly suspect it's a machine translation (probably Google Translate). If you're going to use a translator, do one line at time, and then translate the results back into English. That will reduce a lot of the errors, but even that will still allow some errors to get through. You MUST read each line and carefully analyze it as well, with the information you know about French. That clearly has not been done.

1. Josée accepta de voyager avec eux à Percé. -- in the passé simple, which I doubt you know, and is neither imparfait nor passé composé.

2. Le chapitre a commencé avec tout le monde dans la voiture, la conduite. This is sounds very English. It should be reworded (At the beginning of the chapter, everyone was in the car which was "rolling", the French was of saying the car was moving -- ... tout le monde était dans la voiture qui roulait. As is, it is ungrammatical. conduite - is a noun, and not a participle (driving, in English, is a present participle in the English version, not a noun. But even the French present participle would be awkward there.

3. Après avoir ignoré Jo, il a remarqué une voiture noire et un hélicoptère les suivant. You need "qui" (which) after hélicoptère, and the imperfect form of "suivre". suivant - is the present participle form, and is unnatural here. -- ..and a helicopter which was following them.

4. Il s inquiétait à ce sujet. -- missing an apostrophe -- dead give aways that this is a machine translation.

5. Après, ils ont trouvé une station service et se reposent là. - first verb is passé composé, second one is present tense. You need the p.c. again, and it's better to repeat the subject in French (unlike in English).

6. C est là que Marc-André a rencontré Luce et Henri-François. - missing apostrophe again.

7. Luce et Henri-François croyaient que Sophie et Hugo ne pouvaient pas être les parents de Marc-André. -- correct

8. Après cela, ils conduisaient à nouveau jusqu à ce qu ils doivent s arrêter pour le gaz. -- conduisaient is correct as imperfect, but it's not used the same way as "drive" is in English. Also, p.c. is better. ils ont roulé- is better (they rolled again - in a vehicle with wheels, "drove"). doivent - is present subjunctive - and is okay for casual writing. Missing three apostrophes here

9. Après une dispute, Marc-André et Jo se rendent compte que ses parents l oublient. both verbs are in present tense.

There is no software that can always accurately translate from one language into any other. Software does not comprehend what you are wanting to say. It does what you tell it to do, whether it is grammatically correct or not, natural or not, and it can give false translations (like translating "driving" as a noun, when a noun cannot be used).

A teacher can tell that you are not translating this yourself, unless you take the time to examine and correct the machine translation on your own.

Source(s): taught French; native English speaker
    • Pontus
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

update: some of Catherine's corrections are better. In particular, I missed "le gaz" - which is an actual gas, not gasoline (which is a liquid).

• 2 years ago

As a native French person, I translate it like that:

→ '' Josée accepta de voyager avec eux à Percé. Le chapitre a commencé dans la voiture, pendant le trajet.*

Après *l'avoir ignorée, Marc-André* a remarqué un véhicule* noir et un hélicoptère entrain de les suivre*. Il s'en inquiétait*.

Ensuite* ils ont trouvé une station-service et s'y sont reposés. C'est là qu'il* a rencontré Luce et Henri-François. Ces derniers* croyaient que Sophie et Hugo ne pouvaient pas être les parents de Marc-André.

Par la suite* ils roulaient* à nouveau, jusqu'à ce qu'ils aient besoin d'essence*.

Après une dispute, Marc-André et Josée se rendent* compte qu'ils ont oublié ses parents*

* Better to put '' pendant le trajet '' ( while driving), here.

* I put '' L'avoir ignorée '', instead of ' ignoré Jo ' because of it's very better.

* You have to put the name of the person there.

* Véhicule (vehicle) here, instead of ' voiture ', for don't repeat the same word too often.

* Better to put ' entrain de les suivre ' ( following them).

* '' il s'inquiétait à ce sujet '' is not good there. Better to put '' il s'en inquiétait ''.

* I used the word: ' Ensuite ', for don't repeat ' Après ' two times.

* I put ' il ' ( a rencontré Luce et... ), for don't repeat Marc-André.

* I put ' Ces derniers ' ( these last ones), for don't repeat the names: Luce and Henri-François.

* I used ' par la suite ', for avoid the word ' après '.

* '' ils conduisaient '' is not good there and too, only one person is able to drive a car. So I put ' ils roulaient ' ( literally ' they rolled, but in this context it's like: they were driving '.

* I put: '' Jusqu'à ce qu'ils aient besoin d'essence ''. More simple than: '' jusqu'à ce qu'ils doivent s'arrêter pour l'essence ''. In French gaz = essence.

* Personally I wouldn't use the present tense → '' ils se rendent compte '', but instead: ils se rendirent compte ( simple past).

* I assume you wanted to say they forgot his parents ( to Marc-André), correct? So I changed your phrase, because of the way you turned the French sentence means that it's his parents who forget them.

_ I think it's better to use the whole name: Josée in this context, instead of the diminutive: Jo.

Source(s): ◘ If it's for the school, think the teacher could guess it is not from you...
    • Pontus
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

There is a lot of good advice here that you should listen to. However, it is clear that you have not learned the passé simple, so you need to change those to the passé composé.

• 2 years ago

Q

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.