Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 years ago

Can you go into a gun and ammo shop and just ask "how do I get a small gun?"?

I'd like to get a gun just for self defense and security because im a single woman. I want a hand gun under $500 (if able), just what do I saw when I go into a gun shop? I'd think they'd have to run a background check and stuff...I just don't want to look like an idiot. What do I say?

Best Answer

It will vary by state on exactly how the conversation would go. In some states you need a to register to even shop for a firearm. You could do a research on what your state laws are on that, and if you need to register then I would get that taken care of first.

Otherwise, it's very much like shoes shopping(that sounds sexist, but I can't think of a better example right now). You look at different samples of guns on display. If you like something you call someone over and ask to see it. They'll take one out for you to check out, and you can ask any questions you might have. If you have no idea where to even start from you can call someone over and let them know what you are looking for and what the budgets are. They should be able to help you from there.

The gun will be unloaded when they handed it to you but double check anyway, and do make sure that barrel is not facing anybody at anytime. And do not pull the trigger of the gun at any point until you made sure it is empty again and you ask the helper if it's alright for you to try the trigger(aka dry fire). Some guns are not meant to dry fire so you should kind of ask for every gun you handle if you mean to pull the trigger.

There are a lot of competing beliefs when it comes to what is a good firearm and then there is even a separate school of what is a good firearm for a woman, and your helper will probably have their own bias when it comes to what choices they show you. I'll try to explain few things to consider best that I can without showing any bias.

Revolvers: These are the guns that is often suggested for women. It's hard to get them to malfuction and you can just load and pull the trigger to make it work. Their triggers are harder to pull(refer: double action) which will make them harder to aim with, there is low ammo limit(often 5-7), and they take long to reload.

Ammo and gun size: Very roughly, with pistol rounds, bigger the ammo, harder the recoil(rough rule of thumb, but not always true). Bigger the gun easier it is to control the recoil. So get a tiny ammo and put it in a big gun and the recoil would be very light. Put a big ammo into a small gun and recoil would be very difficult to handle. Harder the recoil, harder you'll find it to shoot accurately.

Conceal carry: First check on your state laws on conceal or open carry. You may need to get a license if you plan to carry. Bigger the gun more baggy your clothes will have to be. Smaller the gun more form fitting your clothes can be. So if you wear form fitting clothes you'll want something very small.

Ammo round 2: Usually 9mm is the smallest ammo that is recommended for self defense. Any smaller and the ammos are not as effective. But if you are looking for very small pistol you'll find that 9mm guns are still a bit too big. .380 acp ammo is a bit under powered, but you should be able to find guns that works with more form fitting clothes here.

carry method: This will depend on your style and such, but it is likely that you don't wear belts all the time and the normal gun belt and holster that guys use wouldn't work out for you. Take a look at belly band holsters as a option because they are flexible in where the gun will sit which means you can make it work with more outfits than your regular holsters.

Essentially, yes.

You may want to do some research ahead of time, though. :-)

"Ladies Pistol Project"

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/8/2...

"Ladies Pistol Project - II ..."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/9/8...

Gun Store Miss Adventures

By Kathy Jackson

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/choosing-firear...

Trying On a Handgun

By Kathy Jackson

"What's your cheapest gun please"

You can ask, get the needed forms filed out and submitted. Before purchase, I highly suggest a gun safety course then visit a gun club, and get input on the sort of weapon best suited to you, there are many to choose from.

My best fit is the Colt M-1911 A, .45 ACP semiautomatic.What I am best and most effective with.

Make your choice, then practice practice practice at the gun ranges.

If you intend to carry, you need CCW classes, ALWAYS think safety and always keep your weapon from unauthorized access.

Source(s): Grew up with guns.

Go ahead and look like an idiot. Salesmen like that. They can sell you whatever they want, whether or not it's the best choice for you.

You'd do better, though, to take some training with rental guns, if you can find such available in your area. That way you'll have a better idea of what to shop for.

Having been one to hang out in gun shops for over a half century, I have an idea of which gun dealers to talk to, and which to stay away from, in my area. Most would give you great advice, but especially if you're going to a generic sports shop that also sells guns, you can easily find the unscrupulous and the morons. It pays to be cautious and not just hurry into your first purchase.

• Mr.357

If you are not familiar with guns, first you should find someone to teach you about guns or take a class. Just walk into a gun shop and say you are looking for a small handgun for self defense. There are several decent handgun available in the $300-$500 range that would probably work for you.

say what you just told us

Don't worry, your money is green there. They will tell you everything you need to know.

Guns will be banned December 1

You don’t need guns. They are very dangerous. Get the iPhone X

• Matyu2 years agoReport

F*** yourself Toby.Guns are safe and cool. Every one should have at least 1 gun.

If you don't want to come off as not knowing anything about guns, do some online research before you walk in to the gun shop cold.

When you know more of what you want, and why you want it. Go into the gun store and impress them with your knowledge.