DNA
DNA asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 years ago

Tutors: Do you help students with quizzes?

I'm not a professional tutor but was asked to help a family friend's daughter with a college-level class. I have a graduate degree and do legal work, but still have to prep for the class by reading every chapter and I create an outline for the student. Recently, she asked me to help her take an online quiz for the same class. The parent says that she gets very nervous taking the quiz and would benefit by my presence. I agreed to it once but it was clear she wanted me to help with questions she didn't know--especially longer ones--and wanted me to find the page numbers as it's open book.

Since then, they only want me to come over and help with the weekly quizzes and leave without actually tutoring and helping her. I don't feel comfortable with it and see it as a waste of my time. This is my first time tutoring so I want to know what professional tutors would do in this situation.

Thanks!

Thanks for the help! I took your suggestion and was honest about how the "tutoring" felt one-sided and having me help with the quiz was doing her no favors--academic dishonesty being another issue. I bowed out of the sessions. They'll find another person and good luck to them on finding a professional tutor that will mar his/her reputation for them.

Thanks again!

• Elaine
    Favorite Answer

This is what I would do. Rather than preparing outlines put the focus on teaching the student how to answer questions in general. By this I mean you go over what type of answer is required in questions such as : discuss, explain, describe, etc.

You could have her use her texts and show her how to read them and extract the necessary information. As an example "What does the author say in the preface?" "How are the first and last paragraphs in each chapter related?" Since she has open book tests you can teach her how to mark the pages or make lists for quick look-ups.

You could also teach her test taking strategies such as writing out the worst case scenarios

I agree that with the current set up you are wasting your time as the student wants you to do all the work while she does nothing.

If, at your next session with her and you try my suggestions and you get a resounding rebuff then be very polite and tell the parents that the student no longer needs a tutor.

Another thing you can do is go over her test answers with her and explain where she lost marks.

Say no.