I am writing an Alice in Wonderland in High school stage play. The theme is finding your identity/belonging. Any thoughts on plot points?

Favorite Answer

Above all, do not let the moral of the story be "Be yourself," which is stupid in addition to being a tired cliche.

You and your classmates are not finding yourselves. You're making yourselves. Your personalities are coming into existence.

When people your age ask about problems they're having with identity, I quote a teacher at an art school who told students in his Drawing class, "Don't worry about style. Just draw and the way you draw will be your style." Just do the right thing. The way you do it will be your personality.

I'm sure that in Wonderland the crazies Alice would encounter would include people trying to sell her fashion, costumes, and equating clothes with identify. Another thing I like to say is that clothing is just clothing. I'm not a big fan of Avril Lavigne but I kind of like that song about the poser who thinks he has to dress up. I'm actually a long-time Kinks fan and I like Dedicated Follower Of Fashion.

Another thing to consider about identity is confusing people with cartoon characters. The latter can be defined in a sentence or two. Human beings are multifaceted.

You might want to use developmental psychology as a reference - Erik Erikson and Abraham Maslow, two really good psychologists.

• I would like to thank you, honestly and sincerely, for your answer. You have made some amazing points and I thank you for answering in a way which not only answered my question but that helped me see frm another perspective. I hope there are more people in the world like you. Thank you again.

Be sure to have a prom dumpster baby, no high school play is complete without one.