Sami asked in HealthMental Health · 2 years ago

How do I tell my parents that I want to drop out of high school (I'm 15, live in New South Wales, Australia and can drop out next year?

Please don't tell me to 'stay in school', because God knows I've had enough of that and it's destroying me in every way possible. I really, really, REALLY want to get out of school and go to TAFE as possible.

So basically, the reasons I want to drop out are as follows:

1. I'm not good at studying. And yes, I know that everyone here will tell me to 'just try harder', but it won't work.

You'll understand why in the next point.

2. I have depression and anxiety, which are INCREDIBLY difficult to balance at school. For example,

depression will make me thing that nothing matters, and anxiety will freak me the **** out (depression: don't

study for your exams, there's no point anyway, you'll just get bad marks. anxiety: OH MY GOD NO

EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT STUDY STUDY STUDY YOU'RE GONNA BE A FAILURE FOR THE REST

OF YOUR LIFE)

3. About 7-8 months ago, I was moved from my favourite school ever to the school that I completely hate with

all of my heart. My parents moved me because I was self-harming, and I couldn't convince them to let me

stay in my old school. To be honest, it wasn't because of my old school that I self-harmed, it was more the

pressure that my parents put on me every. goddamn. day. And the fact that they call me an idiot, stupid,

dumb etc. whenever I don't understand or unable to do things (because of the depression). But wow, I hate this school so much.

Favorite Answer

1. Talk to them - Do NOT whine cry or beg- talk to them reasonably, tell them your troubles and how you feel, who knows, you may just need a tutor or go to a different school.

2. Give them your plan - They will not let you drop out if they think you will sit on the couch and watch t.v. the whole day, and hey, what about online High School?

3. Do you reallly want to drop out? - Let's face it, even if High School is a living Hell you only have a few more years of it and you'll be off to college, and without your high school diploma you won't be getting that far.

If you would like to be less depressed, stay in school. If you endure you will feel much better for the rest of your life. Think of just showing up at school as a partial cure to future risk of depression.

Ask a doctor, or the school nurse or health center about antidepressant medication. If you like you could take 5 fish oil capsules a day right now. it is published at science papers as working about as well as some antidepressants.

If you want to begin your life by running away from difficult conditions then go ahead. Life is a heck of a lot harder than school.

It looks like it's not education that you hate right now, but your parents for being rubbish at knowing you ought to have been allowed to stay at your old school. You need the help of qualified counsellors and perhaps a social worker.

Say something like this to your parents: "I know I have some issues at school, but the biggest problem I have is my mental state which is not something I can control from the depths of depression. I really need your help now rather than criticism, so that things do not become even worse. I feel like I actually need to drop out of school because....

I couldn't fit it all in, so I'm writing more (sorry):

3. The people in this school seem to be nicer than in my old school, but it's weird, because they don't seem that

nice as well (I don't know if that makes sense, but it's kind of like, they're pretending to be nice, which freaks

me out, because how am I supposed to separate the genuinely nice people from the bitches?) That makes it

harder for me to make friends because I'm not sure if I should trust them or not. I mean, I have 'friends', but

they're not really friends I want to keep, they're basically just my friends because if they weren't I wouldn't

have anybody :/

4. I told my House Coordinator about my depression, and ever since then, she's been 'checking in' ('Are you

safe? Have you been self-harming? Have your parents hit you since then? (Yes, my dad punched me once

and I made the mistake of telling her, smart huh? She called CPS (Child Protection Services), which was

really unnecessary, and I told her not to, but she still did)). But her 'checking in' is REALLY uncomfortable for

me, and I've asked her to stop, but NOPE! She hasn't stopped. So that's another reason why I'm looking to

leave school.

(I'LL WRITE MORE LATER I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL)

• Andy C

Before you drop out, start seeing a psychologist for therapy therapy/counseling.

You didn't cut because of your parents. Not, at least, why you think.

You need therapy...and NOW.

Do you blokes know ASAP?

That's how fast. First priority.

Tell your doctor to get the ball rolling.

If school is destroying what you are, perhaps you need to change.

• MrBong

I am sorry you are in such dispair.

I haven't much experience like this.

All I can suggest is you talk to your parents about your depression, and ask to see your doctor or therapist, try talking to them. Finding out what your options are and the best way to go about it.

You certainly need to talk to your parents on how you are feeling and to book a doctors appointment, I hope they are understanding.

Dude, you are bipolar. And it's a serious mental illness. You pretty much go to extremes, either doing nothing and see no reason to get out of bed or you are hyper active and everything is fun an awesome. You never see the life clearly and it feels like no one gets you.