How can I disable a laptop keyboard while still being able to use the touch pad in Windows 10?

I have been repairing a laptop for a neighbour that suffered a disk drive failure. I have replaced the drive, but I have now discovered an intermittent fault with the keyboard. Whereas replacing the disk was a fairly trivial task, removing and replacing the keyboard is much more complicated. The laptop is several... show more I have been repairing a laptop for a neighbour that suffered a disk drive failure. I have replaced the drive, but I have now discovered an intermittent fault with the keyboard. Whereas replacing the disk was a fairly trivial task, removing and replacing the keyboard is much more complicated. The laptop is several years old and sourcing a replacement keyboard may be difficult, then there is the actual process of removing and replacing the faulty unit.

I have discussed the situation with the owner, and he is happy to use an on-screen keyboard. The fault is that the keyboard randomly start submitting characters. Sometimes this leads to the screen randomly changing orientation and at times this can happen several times per second. Hitting various keys will sometimes stop the random submission of characters for a few minutes.

I have managed to disable the keyboard, but this also prevents the touch-pad from working. A USB keyboard and mouse work normally. It's not a Windows 10 issue, and running with a Linux live system shows the same bursts of random characters can appear.

How can I disable the keyboard but keep the touch-pad still operational?