Biology questions (normal flora)?
1. Effects of loss of normal flora are....
2. places normal flora isn't found ( sterile body sites) are .....
- 2 years agoFavorite Answer
1.) The effects on the lack of normal flora are:
- vitamin deficiencies, especially vitamin K and vitamin B12
- increased susceptibility to infectious disease
- poorly developed immune system, especially in the gastrointestinal tract
- lack of "natural antibody" or natural immunity to bacterial infection
Because these conditions in germ-free mice and hamsters do not occur in conventional animals, or are alleviated by introduction of a bacterial flora (at the appropriate time of development), it is tempting to conclude that the human normal flora make similar contributions to human nutrition, health and development.