Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 2 years ago

Microwaved coffee i need some science explanation please!?

this is probably a dumb question I am also not very good with science, however, I noticed a strange thing when I warm up my coffee in the microwave, I usually warm up my coffee for 3 minutes my microwave runs at 1000 power.

Sometimes it boils over so when I take it out of the microwave I sometimes add some more warm coffee from the coffee pot to top it off.

When I take it out of the microwave the coffee is not boiling anymore, however as soon as I add the warm coffee from the coffee pot, it starts boiling again in a very powerful way just for a couple of seconds (it actually bubbled out of my mug and scolded my hand).

So here there is my theory and my question, (again I am not good in science so please don`t make fun of me if I am wrong).

Is it because the coffee in the mug is after the boiling point and adding the warm coffee takes it back to the boiling point and so it boils again for a little bit? I am just curious to know, because I`ve never seen something like that before.

Favorite Answer

Microwaved water is different to boiled water.

When water is boiled (at stove), dissolved gases escape as steam. But when you use microwave, you are restraining the gas to form (nucleate) and superheat it.

It's kind of similar to mentos-to-coke reaction. Once you put a substance with a lot of surface area, you are allowing the gas to form and thus, it fizzes heavily.

The cooling of the cup itself calms the first boiling once you take it out. The new coffee brings the temp back up again.

I prefer brewed coffe