How do you rate Steven Gerrard?

Was he a legend?

How does he rank with the greatest midfielders of all time?

Got some debates with my friends here want to see your guys opinions.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Mario
    Lv 4
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A very good player but not an all-time great midfielder, didn't do enough at international level for that. He also had weaknesses tactically in terms of controlling and managing games from midfield. What he was was a superb athlete, fantastic shooter of the ball and good technician who was built for the 100mph football that the PL was when he was in his prime (now being 'continentalised' by Pep, Poch etc).

Other than his tactical naivete, his big weakness was playing the Hollywood ball too often when short passes were on. He was at his best behind a striker and with two players behind him, which is why he worked so well behind Torres and in front of Mascherano and Alonso. That was a perfectly balanced team that maximised his strengths and minimised his weaknesses. When he played holding midfield earlier and later in his career Liverpool tended to ship lots of goals eg during the Suarez days. This is partly because of a declining defence and partly because he wasn't great at shielding it, certainly not to the level DM Mascherano and deep lying playmaker Alonso were in the previous team.

He was a great player but he had his weaknesses. He was a typical all thunder British, PL player who wasn't really built for moving abroad to Europe or anything like that. He's below the Xavis, Pirlos, Iniestas of the world. However, there is no shame in that.

Source(s): I used to think he was amazingly overrated but looking back on his career I was probably harsh on him. Very good player, world-class for periods, not an ATG midfielder.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Steven Gerrard was a great Liverpool player who could dictate a match. His never say die spirit drove Liverpool forward to overachieve.

• ZolGOD
    Lv 6
    3 years ago

Dave said most of it but here’s something I would like to add about him.

I think what really stopped him from becoming one of the greats is he never gave himself an opportunity to show he could be. He stayed at the same Club who just didn’t have enough quality as a team and coach to be top European team. If he would’ve made a major move to Chelsea or United the teams he was mainly linked with. Went to one of them and made a major impact turning them to a European powerhouse. Then we might’ve saw a different better side. But he stayed loyal which I have nothing wrong with. Because of that we don’t know.

As for International the problem I saw with England was these English stars like Lampard, Steven, and Scholes were too similiar for their own good. They need to be paired with defensive work horses and in front needed foreign talent to produce what they did at club. You can’t do it all yourself. England had individuals and not a team

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Very high.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

A footballing legend, star of a Champions league winning campaign.

• 3 years ago

Not even close to the greatest mids of all time, Pirlo, Iniesta, Zidane offer so much more than Gerrard, he's also an arrogant, bitter, egotistical, c*nt off the pitch, but Liverpool fans and the media act like he's some humble legend, it's quite grating really.

• ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Dave gave a very good answer there, it's difficult to follow actually, lmao. I was always skeptical of Stevie G's short passing ability, he'd have never fit in well to a tiki-taka style short passing team, that really wasn't his game. He also did not adapt well after being moved deeper, he abandoned his position all the time trying to charge forward and hit wonder goals in, leaving Liverpool teams quite vulnerable to counter attacking.

Still a great player though, PL legend for sure.

• 3 years ago

Great player, but not on the same level as Scholes, just like every City player in history too, Scholes has a bigger medal room than Man City FC, lol

• 3 years ago

A great English player.

• 3 years ago

Stop lying, you don't have friends, haha

oh and Gerrard 10x better than Lampard

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.