Anonymous

Computer science degree , worth it ?

I am at a local community college right now studying computer science , I will get the associates degree first because i want to and then transfer to University of Maryland and get a degree in computer science. is there anyone who has landed a good or decent entry level with such degree ? I just want some realistic expectations from anyone who has done it.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Computer science is a good major. There is no shortage of CS degree holders, so don't expect to be working for Apple/Google/Microsoft/Amazon/etc. You'll most likely end up working for a relatively small company in or around Maryland. General salary ranges you can expect would be from $45K - $65K starting.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

It is a mistake to pick major and then HOPE you can find a job. You need to know what you want to DO.

You need to study the part of computer science that fulfills the requirements for the JOB you want. You need to have a good idea of exactly what you want to do BEFORE you choose your area of emphasis, or you will end up with a computer science degree and STILL be unable to get the job you want. So, think about:

system architecture

computer security

programming/coding

database design/maintenance

hardware engineer

computer forensics

web developer

system analyst

network administrator

system developer

applications developer

... and there are more.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Yes, it IS worth it. ALL college degrees are worth it. I am so SICK AND TIRED of this question. You ARE NOT REQUIRED BY LAW TO GO TO COLLEGE. I know bank vice-president who took and accounting class in HIGH SCHOOL and went to work part time as bank teller while she was still in high school. She CHOSE NOT TO GO TO COLLEGE. She had a scholarship, but she CHOSE NOT to go to college. Yes, it is small town bank and she is well aware she will never become president of the bank because the Bank's president has a son or grandson who MIGHT go to business college or a 4 year college.

ALL COLLEGE DEGREES ARE WORTH IT.

What you consider to be a "decent" entry level job no one else knows., especially if you never bother to apply for internships while you still IN COLLEGE.. internships CAN turn into job offers, but NOT ALWAYS.MANY bachelor's and masters degree programs now REQUIRE one or 2 internships TO graduate..

• Yahoo
      Lv 6
      2 years agoReport

No... no they are not and that bank VP is a very rare exception. The odds of that occurring is literally less than 1%. Stop encouraging children and young adults to follow her footsteps.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.