I have a question about oven?

Today we noticed that our oven has a white dust in some areas on the heating element, part of the racks and the bottom. could the our the cleaning crew before we moved in used an oven cleaner and this is residual? that was 2 months ago. The oven doesn't have a self cleaning mode and is rather old and outdated . I am really worried because we have two kids and hope it isn't residual oven cleaner that may have gotten into our food.

Favorite Answer

I would doubt it is oven cleaner.

Have you tried wiping it off? Use a soft cloth, no chemicals and try the cloth dry first. If it remains dampen the cloth but allow the element to dry before turning the oven on.

It is possible that if the oven is real old the element may be flaking apart. Metal can do that if it is heated and cooled many many times.

Get an oven thermometer and check the temperature and make sure it is working properly. If it can not maintain temperature or reach the set temperature you could try adjusting it yourself or contact management and ask for either a replacement or repair of the one you have.

• Sweet2 years agoReport

thank you Nikki for answering I think you are right there might be something wrong with the heating element.

I am thinking if it was residual oven cleaner it would have dissipated by now after all the times we used the oven plus it has never had any chemical smell or fumes.

• geezer

Oven is for cooking food in.

Don't we all?

Hummm.... After the heading you need to followup with your question in the body.... You need to try again....

Yes sure, I am new here and tried to type it but couldn't. this is the question:

we moved to a rental two months ago. Today we noticed that our oven has a white dust in some areas specifically on the heating element, a part of the racks and the bottom. We cleaned the oven with towel and water when we first moved in but not the heating element.

I am worried if the cleaning crew before we moved in used an oven cleaner and this is residual, we never had any chemical smells and we've used the oven several times in those 2 months. the oven doesn't have a self cleaning mode and is rather old and outdated. My husband thinks it must be residual food (like from oil) that was burned and turned to ash . I am really worried because we have two kids and hope it isn't residual oven cleaner that may have gotten into our food. Does anyone know what it may be? can residual oven cleaner survive 2 months of oven usage?

thank you

• Bill

Okay, would you like to say what your question is?