Nowadays, why is 'respect' defined as 'taking abuse without defending yourself'?'?

Lately, I've only been seeing older people blatantly bully and disrespect younger people and when the younger person tries to defend themselves, the older person is like, "You're a ******* kid, I can say whatever I want, you need to respect your elders, you're a teenager/child, nobody cares about... show more Lately, I've only been seeing older people blatantly bully and disrespect younger people and when the younger person tries to defend themselves, the older person is like, "You're a ******* kid, I can say whatever I want, you need to respect your elders, you're a teenager/child, nobody cares about you". And I just wondered, 'so...they're disrespectful because they wouldn't allow you to belittle them?' I do believe that you should respect your elders, but if it means allowing someone to treat you bad just because they're older, there's no way I can get behind that.
1 answer 1