It is a traumatic experience and can have some hard to deal with consequences.
In the US train crews are provided with post incident counseling should they chose to accept it. I didn’t use the word ‘accident’ because when someone is struck by a train it is no accident. Trains do not hunt people down and kill them. They put themselves at risk and it is their responsibility to stay out of the way, which means stay off the tracks. It’s pretty simple.
And it happens far too often. In the US engineers (train drivers) can expect to experience three fatalities in a full 30 year career. The effects are varied usually depending on circumstances, such as children being involved. I know a guy who struck a man in a wheelchair hung up on the tracks as the front wheel dropped into the flange way. He was a changed man after that. I was lucky because I experienced no fatalities in my career. I tagged a pedestrian, two pickup trucks and a station wagon while behind the throttle but neither he or none of the occupants died. That means they were lucky too.
Again on this side of the pond, most road locomotives, as opposed to switch (shunting) engines are equipped with scoop like devises that are referred to as a ‘pilot plow.’ It allows the engines to navigate through snow up to a certain depth. When it makes contact with flesh there is a sickening, ringing thud that is heard. And one never forgets that sound.
Then the conductor gets to walk back and see the resultant carnage and render any aid they can. Usually there is nothing they can do.
People don’t always die as a result with a tangle with a train but wind up as amputees including those who lose all limbs and wind up the day as quadruple amputee. That is when one realizes that there are indeed things worse than death. If the appendage is cross-cut, people usually don't bleed out. That is because the limb is crushed off instead of sliced off. The tremendous weight seals the veins and arteries just like cauterizing them by a doctor or surgeon.
It is a simple formula for survival. Stay off the tracks = stay alive and in one piece.
Addendum: I just stumbled on some recent statistics. In the US alone over 1,000 people (I do not know how many over 1,000) are killed each year as a result of tangling with a train as a motorist or pedestrian. When doing the math that's about 83 per month or 3 every day or 1 every eight hours, give or take.
And 99% of these fatalities, in my personal experience, are completely avoidable. I don't know for sure but I would be willing to bet the other 1% is accounted for by suicides. Such a tragic loss of life and for what? Because someone doesn't want to be 5 minutes late for an appointment or a little late for work?
These incidents are second only to drunken driving in contributing to the carnage on our roads and highways.
If someone has so little regard for their own life then so be it. For most, or at least for the lucky ones it's over in a heartbeat. But their survivors, the family, the friends or the other people who care about them deal with the aftermath to the end of their own lives.
This applies to the crewmen as well.
That's why we never look.