Is this generation really more informed?

Our generation, sometimes referred to as Millennials, has entered unknown territory when it comes to methods of collecting information. Nowadays, social media has allowed the spread of information at a rate that has never been seen before.

But speedy methods of communication don’t necessarily guarantee that said information is actually being consumed. Some argue that this generation’s increased access to information results in teens being more informed than any group before them. But others insist that while young people are exposed to more information, they fail to accurately learn from it. So which side is correct?

Favorite Answer

This may be affected by semantics-

kids can now look things up in a nanosecnod, if they know what to look FOR.

They can also be fairly well informed, if they actually read what they find.

Most of the kids under 18 know way too much about anything on YouTube, which can range from how to go into a coma eating too many marshmallows, to making a bomb out of stuff in their garage, and dressing up the dog.

The information is certainly on the web, no matter what it is- but just look through the questions here on Yahoo. The same percentage of kids know how to do research and digest the information, as ever did. If they were any different, they wouldn't need parents or teachers.

• J M

No. Sadly with more access to information than any generation in history, millenials remain no more informed or well educated than previous generations. They also remain dependent on their parents longer and are slower to pursue a career. That is the facts.

Sort of. Its odd how there is so much free factual information out there yet people keep getting stupider and stupider. Given two choices most people will pick the far less plausible. Planes fly into twin towers - terrorists or government conspiracy? Seems obvious but I'm continually surprised what passes for logic.

Did you just miss the part where millions of Americans were duped by Russian propaganda through social media? You guys are NOT more informed.

No it isn't. Even if you say there is that much more information(and honestly there isn't that much more) the other thought is how much is TRUE. Telling you the sky is green, as an example, ISN'T giving you more information.

There is more info, yes. But the info ya'll get is in bite sized chunks, which isn't necessarily a problem IF you were taught how to research and look things up.

In my day, we had books and encyclopedias. If I had a question, I was told to look it up. That started in 2nd grade, and now, in my old age, I still look it up. I trained my millenials to do the same.

Most of them don't even know how to use Google properly. If they did, 2/3 of these questions would never be asked.

• Mark

I don't run into many deep thinking millennials with their advantage of increased information.