How to knit a sweater?

So, I basically taught myself to knit, so I have no examples to go off of besides finished products I see in stores and TV/movies. Everytime I see someone knit a sweater on TV, its all one continuous project that can be done with just knitting needles, while when I see sweaters in stores, the seams are sewn... show more So, I basically taught myself to knit, so I have no examples to go off of besides finished products I see in stores and TV/movies. Everytime I see someone knit a sweater on TV, its all one continuous project that can be done with just knitting needles, while when I see sweaters in stores, the seams are sewn together. So which is the best way to connect all the parts like the body, sleeves, etc?
Also, I know basic stuff like knitting, purling, casting on, but I have no idea how to cast off or finish the project, so if you have tips for that as well that would help alot.
Mostly I just want to know the basics of sweater making; do u start at the top or bottom, how do u make sleeves while making the torso, etc? Any tips will be much appreciated