I just found out my car has odometer fraud on it, dealership offered to work with me...what should I do?

The used car I bought a year and a half ago from a dealership has odometer fraud on it and I just found out. The dealer is very persistent about me giving him the car back and he will get me into a different vehicle. What should I ask for in a vehicle from them? I know in court you can get 3x the amount of the... show more The used car I bought a year and a half ago from a dealership has odometer fraud on it and I just found out. The dealer is very persistent about me giving him the car back and he will get me into a different vehicle.

What should I ask for in a vehicle from them?

I know in court you can get 3x the amount of the cars worth and damages plus attorneys fees. Is that fair to ask? I don t want to get screwed.

I also read that this is a big deal and they can get in big trouble for this. I heard they can lose their license and be fined $100,000. Is that true?

The dealership swears they had no idea but it is very obvious on the carfax and the guy who gave it to the dealership as a trade in only had it for five days.

I thought I could trust buying a used car from a dealer more than I could from a private seller but I was wrong, the car has had a ton of problems that I had to have repaired and now I can t even get it registered because it won t pass safety inspection in my state.

The rollback was 40,000 miles.

Should I just report this to the DMV?