English Student's Question: credit others with its own decency?

Could you please explain the second sentence of the following passage from a British novel? It is a type which is only at home in action and therefore it is superb in emergency. It credits others with its own decency. It is a type which produces Empires as a by-product of its adventurous spirit. A certain type of... show more Could you please explain the second sentence of the following passage from a British novel?

It is a type which is only at home in action and therefore it is superb in emergency. It credits others with its own decency. It is a type which produces Empires as a by-product of its adventurous spirit.

A certain type of people is described here. I understand the first and third sentences, but what does "it credits others with its own decency" mean? Does it mean "this type of people is decent, but they think it is other people who are really decent"? I am very confused. I appreciate any comments. Thank you!