I know it is a big no no to use a mutual retirement fund to pay for credit card debt. Is there a time when it s OK?

I have enough to cover my credit card debt and still leave w generous amount. My credit card debt is substantial enough that it is interfering with my current quality of life. I realize it s my own fault, and I feel that I ve learned my lesson. Plus I m no longer involved in the projects that I used my credit cards... show more I have enough to cover my credit card debt and still leave w generous amount. My credit card debt is substantial enough that it is interfering with my current quality of life. I realize it s my own fault, and I feel that I ve learned my lesson. Plus I m no longer involved in the projects that I used my credit cards for and contributed to their hefty balances. Also I m scared to confess this to my advisor, because he d be shocked and I d be ashamed. He s not exactly a friend but not a stranger either. Maybe I could start out by just telling him I need 5000 dollars. Even just that amount would help, and he wouldn t faint and I wouldn t have to confess it was for credit card debt or confess the full amount of my debt.