Craigslist possible car scam?

So I am selling a 2006 Subaru WRX TR in really good condition in California, a buyer texted me from Oregon asking for a few hundred off my list then went back to my list price. He said his credit union needs a pic of my smog, VIN, and title. Now what I am asking is first, how would this process go and second how... show more So I am selling a 2006 Subaru WRX TR in really good condition in California, a buyer texted me from Oregon asking for a few hundred off my list then went back to my list price. He said his credit union needs a pic of my smog, VIN, and title. Now what I am asking is first, how would this process go and second how will I know that I won't be getting scammed by a fake check? I've seen videos where people did something similar but when they deposited the check it would not accept it and they lost their car. How would I prevent this and what are tips for selling a car to someone out of state. Thanks! (Note: He claimed that he is 4 hours away from where I live since he lives near the border of CA and Oregon, he is willing to drive down. Hope this info also helps.) If this doesn't make sense please reply for clarification. This was rushed so apologies for the rushed explanation.
17 answers 17