How does George R R Martin get away with so much exposition?

I've always been told less is more and that exposition bogs down novels and bores a lot of readers away. Yet A Song of Ice and Fire is littered with exposition. And it's extremely popular and successful. I enjoy the books I think George Martin is a great writer but I find myself skipping over sizable... show more I've always been told less is more and that exposition bogs down novels and bores a lot of readers away. Yet A Song of Ice and Fire is littered with exposition. And it's extremely popular and successful. I enjoy the books I think George Martin is a great writer but I find myself skipping over sizable portions of the chapters just because it's needless exposition. It feels like he wrote a prequel, scrapped it, and used a lot of it just randomly thrown into the book. It's also constant telling not showing. Which I was told the number one rule is show don't tell. We aren't shown that southerners and northerners keep different gods we are told directly in a page and a half of exposition. Again Martin is a great writer I just don't know how he gets away with it.