Why did disco die off?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It died off because every mainstream-at-some-point genre does. Jazz, swing, 50's doo-wop, rockabilly, funk, disco, heavy rock, techno, trance, bubblegum pop, etc. They all resurface at some point, though. For example, Daft Punk brought a resurgence of funk and disco. Same with other artists who've used disco elements in their songs (Pharrell Williams, Will Smith, Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars, Snoop Dogg, Childish Gambino, etc.)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

I don't believe it did. It just morphed into something else - house, techno/trance, EBM, etc.

• WazUp
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Italo disco is better

• 2 years ago

Boredom

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Like a lot of creative trends there was a reaction against it. Once something gets really popular it becomes cooler to DISLIKE it than to go with the crowd. Disco was held to be too commercial (i.e 'soulless') and overproduced - plus there was (of course) a racial element to the backlash.

There was even a single day which could be referred to as the death of disco - 'Disco demolition night'. It was a promotion by the Chicago White Sox and shock jock Steve Dahl (who was fired by the station he DJd at when it turned from rock to disco), who blew up crates of disco records on the baseball pitch between games. It basically lead to a riot

• 2 years ago

Its my opinion that rap is the modern day equivalent.

It still lives, dancing around on stage looking like a monkey is not flattering.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.