A question about short selling?

I keep reading that if you sell short and then the price of the stock increases you have to take the hit but why can't you just wait it out? Nowhere can I find any information regarding any time constraints. I understand that the broker will be charging you interest but if it works out cheaper to let that... show more I keep reading that if you sell short and then the price of the stock increases you have to take the hit but why can't you just wait it out?

Nowhere can I find any information regarding any time constraints. I understand that the broker will be charging you interest but if it works out cheaper to let that accrue then wouldn't it be an idea not to buy the stock back until the price falls?

Is the only rush to buy the stock the broker interest or is there a legal requirement for this transaction to be completed within a certain time period and if so, what is it?

Seeking answers about UK and US laws please.

Thanks