Are England the worst international team in the world, pound for pound?

Strong football culture and rich history of interest in the game, wealthy (high GDP) and pretty large population, lots of money put into the game and their top league in the PL, yet they look shite all the time and can barely string passes together. The players brought through are mostly underwhelming, other than Kane and Dele Alli.

They've won one World Cup, made semis of tournaments twice and that's it. For such a big nation, with a history of playing football they should do much better.

Argentina probably deserve a shout as well for being so dysfunctional and reliant on Messi even though they have top players who never perform either.

Favorite Answer

Yes, they are absolute CRAP, a horrible, horrible team. Full of sh*tty passionless players, clueless novice managers, it's no wonder they can't even sell out Wembley now. Pretty much every other big nation is Europe completely outclasses them now, I couldn't stop laughing when France went down to 10 men and STILL dominated them and won.

They are that bad that I didn't watch the last 2 games as I would have fallen asleep.

We've seen it all before, the media will try to convince us that Alli, Rashford and Sterling are world class even when they're getting KO'd in the group stage, haha

• ZolGOD

It has to be. A country with resources and takes the sport so seriously. Idk if it's just bad decisions or England's players can never gel together. I think it's a combination of both. Like lets be honest there hasn't been an England Manager since I've watched that has convinced me as a good appointment.

Its so boring to watch I couldn't even watch it for 10 mins.

• Viva

Well, probably if we accept the presupposition that GDP/Wealth/culture/population are the most important factors! Of which I'm not convinced since teams like Brazil & Italy are more succesful than Germany who by those definitions should dominate much more than they already do!

We're dreadful

• Loog5R

Yes one of the worst that's for sure tbf tho Argentina/Portugal/Netherlands should win a lot more with the amount of talented players they produce.

• there's a few candidates i'd say....

Mexico, USA, Russia,and i'd say us as well (Spain) till the recent success, to be fair of all the nations on the planet it's only a few which have actually won it, and England is one of those tbf....I just get this feeling though that if the US. really wanted to make it's mark it could...

Most over achieving teams i'd say were Uruguay and Nederlands...but there are reasons for this

Greatest fall from grace i would say were Hungary....things change like that, i mean how high are Iceland ranked now?, and 50 years ago?....food for thought..

By those criteria Netherlands, Belgium and Mexico are probably worse for never winning anything at all, Portugal too as a World Cup win is far better than winning the Euros.

In terms of current playing ability we're not great though.