Setting up own router in college apartment complex?

I live off campus at college in an apartment complex. We have a 3 bedroom apartment; I have 2 roommates. We have WiFi here included with our rent, but it's really terrible. When it's working, it's fine, but half the time I go on my laptop either the network is "limited" (no Internet access) or... show more I live off campus at college in an apartment complex. We have a 3 bedroom apartment; I have 2 roommates. We have WiFi here included with our rent, but it's really terrible. When it's working, it's fine, but half the time I go on my laptop either the network is "limited" (no Internet access) or I can't even connect to the network at all. I'll spend a half hour playing around, troubleshooting, and then it will miraculously be fine.

But I do that every single day and I heard it's possible to set up my own router to improve the connection. Is this true? And if so, can someone explain in a very quick and simple way?

Do I just go to the store and buy any basic router and then set it up in my room?
Update: We have our own WiFi just for our apartment (just the 3 of us). But it's not that it's slow; it's that the Internet provider just is terrible and has frequent outages. When the network is working, it's fast. But half the time the network "cannot be connected to" at ALL, by any of us.