Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 2 years ago

Do I need to explain the character's background in my essay paper?

Is this necessary? All of the details and information needed for my argument to make sense have been mentioned in the paper which includes character motivation blah blah (ofc, assuming you've read the novel, you will get what I am saying in the paper) I don't need to mention everything right? Do I need to introduce them too? I feel like these things are unnecessary in the paper because if you're gonna read about my essay paper then you should have read the novel to which my paper is based on. Please advise. Thanks!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You should mention background information about the characters only if it has a direct bearing on the point you are making.

You can assume that the reader is familiar with the book.

• 2 years ago

You are right some of the background information is unnecessary, but not all of it. And its those things that should be mentioned. For example the subject may have all the necessary motivations but if their character description was of a very passive person, they still wouldn't act making your supposition false.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

• 2 years ago

It's usually safer to assume that your reader doesn t know anything about the subject when you're writing an essay, unless you're specifically told to do otherwise. Use whatever evidence you need to make your point clear to someone who may or may not have read the novel.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

You can assume the reader has read the novel. The only things you need to mention are the ones that are pertinent to your thesis.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

assume someone has not read the novel and is interested in your paper. do you want pass marks or not?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.