Why do so many TV commercials have a dopey husband/bf that is corrected by his smart, sensible wife/gf? But never the other way around?

If you watch TV, don't tell me you haven't noticed this. There is a ton of them. It's mostly in commercials that provide decision-making solutions like insurance companies, online banking, online shopping, hotel booking, etc... It's always the same formula: The guy is just a confused dope who tries... show more If you watch TV, don't tell me you haven't noticed this. There is a ton of them. It's mostly in commercials that provide decision-making solutions like insurance companies, online banking, online shopping, hotel booking, etc...

It's always the same formula: The guy is just a confused dope who tries to do it his way, then his wife or girlfriend rolls her eyes with a disappointed yet endearing look on her face and steps in to save the day with her sensible one-touch solution. Cut to logo and punchline, end of commercial.

Literally every other commercial on TV goes by that formula. But you never see it the other way around. There's never a dopey confused woman who needs her smart sensible husband or boyfriend to show her the easy solution.

Even more unsettling is this new trend in commercials where it's okay for a woman to imply she cheats or wishes to cheat on her husband/bf as if it were just a funny punchline. I've seen several of those airing on TV. Imagine if it were the other way around and it was a guy who left his wife and drove off with a young hot chick? The commercial would be banned before it airs.

So why this double standard? Why the hypocrisy?
7 answers 7