promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 years ago

pencillin for tooth imflammation? it was recommended by a doctor, and all it said was take one every 6 hours. how many days should i take it?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A 'course' of antibiotics is usually several days. You should keep taking the pills until they're gone.

There's a good reason for this, if you want to read a little more. 8^) If you grow a culture of bacteria in a petri dish, and you give them penicillin, not enough to kill all of them but, say, 90%, then when they grow back, they will not respond to the same dose of penicillin, because the ones you didn't kill were the ones who had some immunity to the drug. So you give them ten times as much to kill 90% again, and let them grow back. Within a few generations you have bacteria that penicillin is useless against!

The fact is, since antibiotics were first used, bacteria have all evolved to be resistant to them. We have come up with new antibiotics all the time and they are only good for a few years! Within your lifetime (if you're young) antibiotics may lose their usefulness altogether! Then we'll be screwed. A LOT more people will die of bacterial infections.

BTW my dad told me that during WWII penicillin was so rare and expensive that patients who were given it had to stay in the hospital so their urine could be collected and the unused drug extracted from it to be used again! Aren't you glad you live today? 8^)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Generally a week

• 3 years ago

Usually 7 to 10 days or until all the pills are gone. You can always ask the pharmacist or doctor.

• Future
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

till its gone

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

I'm no doctor, but every time I'm prescribed antibiotics, they always prescribe enough so I can take 10 days of medicine.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Take it until the lesions on your dong subside and the burning upon urination stops.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

This is a politics question because....?

• Mog
      Lv 7
      3 years agoReport

Probably because the Health or Medicine categories are slow as hell to get answers from and they're trolled even more heavily than P&G

• Mog
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Always finish your bottles of antibiotics. That's how they're dosed. Take them until they're gone.

• 3 years ago

probably as many days as your doctor wants you to take it, ask him how many

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Until you have taken all of the pills.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.