jake asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 3 years ago

Can I use my iPad/iPhone as a display for my Mac or Apple TV?

I’m looking for a solution for when I am watching movies/Netflix on my iMac/Apple TV and I don’t want to stop watching while I go cook dinner or have a smoke. I was wondering if there is something that works nearly smoothly as AirPlay does when I’m watching on my iPad/iPhone and I sit down in front of my TV and send the movie or Netflix to the Apple TV with AirPlay. With iTunes and Netflix content, it works alright to stop watching on my Apple TV and open the respective app on my iOS device because those services save my place in the cloud, but this isn’t quite as smooth/convenient as I would like. It works very well in the other direction (from iOS devices to Apple TV with AirPlay) but not quite so smoothly the other way and I have no idea how to get my iMac in on the action. I have no qualms about using 3rd party software if there is something out there that works smoothly using the local network, though I don’t really want to be sending signals for this via my ISO or Bluetooth. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have 2nd gen Apple TV and don’t really expect it to have the ability to do this, but if it can, that would be awesome! macOS seems like it is versatile enough to do this, but I haven’t found a good way yet so any suggestions would be very helpful.

Favorite Answer

There's no cheap or simple video input on the iPad, so it's right out as an Apple TV viewer. But there are a handful of apps that will let you use your iPad as a second monitor for your Mac or PC; some of them are wireless.

I think Dish has what you're looking for. On the TV commercials, it shows someone watching a show in one room, pausing it, then continue watching in another room. Is that what you're looking for?