Where to put the CPU?

I just bought a gaming pc, i have to take out the motherboard and send it back because it was broken. so i have to take out the CPU so i can put it in later when i get the motherboard back, where can i place the CPU so it won't get damage. The mortarboard will be gone for 2 weeks so i dont know what to do with the CPU so it dont get damage in the time the motherboard is gone.

Favorite Answer

I buy processors from ebay all the time. Sometimes I get them in a plastic clamshell that would be used in the packaging. Other times they have been wrapped in bubblewrap and taped.

An ESD bag would be preferable.

Intel processors are less of a worry compared to AMD processors but often times there are transistors on the bottom of the Intel CPU that can be damaged. With AMD processors you have to worry about damaging the pins.

For a quick fix I would use cut up cardboard, then secure/wrap it with tape or a rubber band. Place it somewhere safe.

IMO, installing the CPU is the most tricky part about building a PC. After this diversion, there is no reason for you to ever buy a prebuilt PC again. If you can uninstall and then reinstall a CPU then you can build a desktop computer.

the original packaging for the CPU

If you still have the box for the CPU that would probably be your best bet, other than that I'd find a box to put it in and keep it right with your PC case where you won't have to worry as much about someone knocking it over.

you have to watch out for static electricity. you can wrap it in aluminum foil.

• Robert J
      3 years agoReport

Exactly. There can be no build up of static or potential difference between pins on the chip.
      You just have to be sure the foil (and yourself) are equalised to the pc case / motherboard shields before transferring the CPU.

If you have no anti static bags I put in upside down in a small cardboard box on a shelf