How to express an ongoing masters degree in suffix?

I am pursuing a masters degree (1 year to go). I was wondering at what point I can put in my email signature my name followed by degree suffix. For instance, Jane Doe, M.S.

When can I write like this? Can I do this while pursuing the degree? Or do I have to wait until it's earned?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

You do not officially have a Master's Degree until you receive the diploma.

• ?

Well, the suffix implies that you have that degree, so you can't use it until you have the degree.

After it's earned. In fact the only really proper time to actually use the MS after your name is when the masters is germane to the letter content. You don't use it, for example, in personal letters to family and friends.

Source(s): I have four degrees: 2 BS, MS, and PhD