Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

Does Trump hate the NFL because it reminds him of another one of his failed business ventures, the USFL?

1. Trump is widely blamed for the demise of the USFL

Soon after Trump bought the Generals after the USFL's inaugural season, which was played in the spring of 1983, he started pushing his fellow owners to move the league's games to the fall and go head-to-head with the NFL. "If God wanted football in the spring," Trump once said, "he wouldn't have created baseball." After the league's third season, the owners agreed to move to a fall schedule in 1986.

"I think it was a big mistake," said Dr. Ted Diethrich, one of the league's original owners. "When that decision was made, the course for this was charted, and it was going to be a wreck."

Several teams were having financial difficulties at the time, and the league lacked the fall TV contracts that supported the NFL. The USFL instead tried to take on the NFL in the courts by filing an antitrust lawsuit. The hope was that the USFL would either merge with the established league or win a sizable settlement. The merger never happened, and despite winning the lawsuit, the USFL was ultimately awarded only $3 for its troubles. The league soon folded, and Trump's push for the fall schedule and a lawsuit against the NFL is generally cited as the main reason.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The senile, demented old fcuk probably thinks these ARE USFL teams and that he owns them all.

• 2 years ago

"Fake News," no doubt - since Trump himself has never mentioned the USFL, as far as I know. Of course, he wants people to believe all of his businesses are yuuuge successes.

• 2 years ago

you know what, you try sometimes in life and some of those times you fail. then you go about and try something different until it works for you.

that's the beauty of America

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

wow.......how insightful of you..............NOT !!!!!

what a typical anonymous coward asswipe

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

The NFL sucks now I only watch college

• no

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

no, he is a white supremacist and he cannot stand the nfl players protesting racial inequality.

• 2 years ago

yes that is why

• 2 years ago

That is part of it. Bankruptcy is worse.

• 2 years ago

uhh yeah, uh huh, i'm sure that's why

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.