Should I start commuting to work in sneakers instead of dress shoes?

I’m a guy that works in NYC and I do walk a bit to the subway when commuting to and from work. The concrete does put quite a bit of wear and tear on my expensive dress shoes. I was thinking of commuting in sneakers and then change to dress shoes at work. Sneakers are less expensive, more durable when walking on concrete and are more comfortable to walk in. I see quite a bit of men doing this today, so I was thinking of giving it a try.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Short answer Yes. Long answer: yyyyyeeeeeessss. Everyone does it, from CEO s to office guys. Go doe it. Dress shoes are expensive.

Are you allowed out alone? Seriously?

• Lili

Lots of people, both male and female, commute in athletic shoes or whatever else they feel comfortable in, and change into their good shoes at work. It's normal and common, and you're right: it saves shoe leather.

I don't like athletic shoes, so in warm weather I wear espadrilles and flat-heeled boots in the cold.

• Aggy

I am so pleased someone is finally making a stand on this too often neglected position on men's fashion. I myself used to wear track suit bottoms on my journey to work. These I took off at my desk as nobody could see the lower half of my body so trousers were redundant. Over the 40 years of my working life I saved a fortune by only having to buy suit jackets.

Seriously? Dress shoes are for dress occasions and sneakers or walking shoes are for walking. Consider leaving a pair of dress shoes at work.

Thats a great idea. Update us and let us know if it makes a difference.

I know a lot of people who do. Also it would be benefit for your feet health as well as the health of your dress shoes. You want both to look good right?