Proper police procedure in this complicated kidnapping and related murder case?

I'm writing a novel. I apologize if this is a rambly post, but there's a lot to explain. In the novel, the main character has to kidnap an 18 year old boy, and this act is witnessed by the boy's mother, who calls the police. It's a small-to-medium-sized college town with a small law enforcement community. I'm looking to create a law enforcement official who then begins searching for the main character.

First, I'm wondering:

1. In a case like this, and in a small town, would the most likely first responder be a sheriff's deputy, a city police officer, or state police?

2. Roughly how many personnel would respond to a witnessed kidnapping like this?

3. The witness saw the vehicle, but not the license plate; what are the next steps, and who is involved?

4. Who would be the lead on such a case? A patrolman, or a detective?

Secondly, and this is where things get complicated, a few hours after the kidnapping, an acquaintance of the kidnapped 18-year-old is found murdered in a neighboring town. The vehicle that kidnapped the 18-year-old was also spotted in the area around the time of the friend's murder. My questions here:

5. Would the responders to the kidnapping be involved in the murder investigation, or would this be a separate team? Would the investigation of the kidnapping be handed off to whoever investigates the murder, or vice-versa, or would there be two separate investigations?

6. Given all this, who should be my main law enforcement character? Rank and affiliation?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • larry1
    Lv 6
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1st set of questions.........

It's a 'town', towns have police departments, it's the towns police departments case. Initially a 1st responding patrolmen would show up, then since abduction/ kidnapping is 2nd only in seriousness to capital murder the chief of police and his most senior detective would be next accompanied by a squad of patrolmen. After this they would need a forensic squad, they would have to use the state police mobile one for that, although the city forensic officer could do photographs and easy stuff. It's a small town, even though it has a college so the department can't be very big. Say, on scene from the town for probably the biggest crime of their career.....more than half the dept. on duty....say 12 town officers, including the chief and his 2nd and best in command.

Next questioning the witness in depth for the exact type of car, every detail she can remember (in later days she'd be shown photos of cars to try and pick out exact make/model/color). Canvas of area by door to door officers looking for more witnesses would start within 1 hour. All security cam video if any would be secured. An ABP (all points bulletin) would be put out to all state law enforcement for any similar car.

Later the chief of the departments detectives in lead of the investigation directly under the chief would interview at length the mother/ any other witnesses/ all friends/ relatives of the victim for clues.

2nd set questions.........

Yes, town #1 police would be very much involved in town #2's murder because it involves their victim and the suspect car. Police are allowed to go wherever the case takes them, they just don't have full authority in someone else's jurisdiction and need....cooperation. The 2 departments would by law cooperate hopefully 'fully'....one has the murder case, the other the kidnapping but they're related.

Who for the main police character....the top go to guy detective in town #1's dept. The most experienced, veteran, smartest best detective no matter his rank, or if he is in favor disfavor, working directly under the chief with otherwise full authority or the chief himself with a good assistant.

P.S. If it was a kidnapping as it is a federal crime the FBI would at some point have to be notified and briefed, kept informed, and would offer their resources, but don't have to take over the case unless asked.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • J M
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Learn to write a question before you try to write a novel.

• 3 years ago

1. Most likely sheriff's deputy.

2. They would probably be mildly shocked.

3. Telling the police a description of the vehicle so they can figure out what kind it is.

4. A detective.

5. They would probably be involved, considering the same suspect they're tracking is most likely to blame.

6. Main law enforcement character...Maybe a detective?

• 3 years ago

my mommy likes chicken nuggies

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.