What actions can I take if my flight insurance does not refund me? Read details before you answer.?

I booked a flight to China in April and purchased flight protection through Tripmate. The policy I received said that it covers any delay/interruption/cancellation due to a natural disaster. Well fast forward to mid August. I fly to my destination without any interruptions. Vacation at its end. Few days before my... show more I booked a flight to China in April and purchased flight protection through Tripmate. The policy I received said that it covers any delay/interruption/cancellation due to a natural disaster.

Well fast forward to mid August. I fly to my destination without any interruptions. Vacation at its end. Few days before my return flight, hurricane Irma comes, and directly hits my home in Florida.

I arrived at the airport and went to check-in. Person at counter informed me that my 3rd transfer from NYC to Florida had been cancelled by Delta. Note, my first 2 flights were by China Southern. Delta went ahead and cancelled all of my flights without contacting me, or my airline. Not only that, Delta didn't even bother to re-book.

At this point I wanted to return even to NYC where I had family I could crash at. I fought with Delta for hours and they finally re-booked and paid for my return flight with a layover in Detroit.

I was stranded in Detroit with a 3 day delay before I could even get home. I finally just said to hell with it and asked them to fly me to Atlanta and I would just drive a rental back home after the storm had dissipated.

What am I legally able to do if this company refuses to refund me hotel fees, and my unused return flight (with another company)? Remember, Delta cancelled my original flight home I had paid for out of pocket. They paid for my return flight home separately.

Any Ideas?
Update: Both round trip tickets were purchased as one. Main airliner was China Southern. The domestic flights in the USA before taking off to China were "operated by Delta" but still under China southerns confirmation #. Return flight back home was cancelled by the domestic flight operated by Delta airlines.... show more Both round trip tickets were purchased as one. Main airliner was China Southern. The domestic flights in the USA before taking off to China were "operated by Delta" but still under China southerns confirmation #.

Return flight back home was cancelled by the domestic flight operated by Delta airlines. That ticket was completely cancelled and unused. New booking was purchased again, separately through Delta.