Which one of those are your favorite Vietnam War movies out of top 50 list and why?

1. Full Metal Jacket

2. Apocalypse Now!

3. Platoon

4. Forrest Gump

5. Born on the Fourth of July

6. The Deer Hunter

7. First Blood

8. Taxi Driver

9. Hamburger Hill

10. Rambo: First Blood Part II

11. The Green Berets

12. We Were Soldiers

13. Heaven & Earth

14. Tigerland

15. Good Morning, Vietnam

16. Rescue Dawn

17. Kong Skull Island

18. Operation Dumbo Drop

19. Dead Presidents

20. Across the Universe

21. The Walking Dead (1995)

22. Hair

23. The Boys in Company C

24. Missing in Action

25. Purple Hearts

26. Streamers

27. Hail, Hero!

28. Heroes

29. Coming Home

30. Good Guys Wear Black

31. Casualties of War

32. A Bright Shining Lie

33. Green Dragon

34. Under Heavy Fire

35. Journey from the Fall

36. Off Limits

37. Uncommon Valor

38. Bat*21

39. Path to War

40. The Beautiful Country

41. Gardens of Stone

42. Air America

43. McBain

44. For the Boys

45. Flight of the Intruder

46. Jacob's Ladder

47. The Siege of Firebase Gloria

48. In Country

49. Platoon Leader

50. Jacknife

51. Other (Any other Vietnam War Movies is not on the list)

Favorite Answer

I haven't seen all these movies but a few are just shoot 'em up fantasy movies so I will leave them out. I am only considering those intended as a realistic portrayal of the war.

One movie that might be good to add is "Friendly Fire," in which Carroll Burnett played a rare non-comedic role as the mother of a soldier killed in a friendly-fire incident. This is a very good movie.

Another missing movie is "When Hell Was in Session," with Hal Holbrook- very good movie about the POWs in Hanoi. You might recognize the guard as Chinese actor James Hong...the Chinese restaurant in Seinfeld...

Vietnam scenes in Forrest Gump were very well done. I've heard, second-hand at least, of one Marine vet (albeit Gump was Army), and said the ambush scene was just like being there again.

I liked "Under Heavy Fire," and it was the only one, I believe, actually filmed in Vietnam (accurately speaking, it was done in BetaCam). There was a lesser known sequel, a very strange movie about a gay Marine who deserted... "The Veteran" These were part of a trilogy which started with "The Boys in Company C" (1977)... I remember Ermey from that, and recognized him when I saw Full Metal Jacket in 1987.

The Deer Hunter wasn't particularly accurate, the Russian Roulette scenes I thought were just too much), but Wow! It absolutely captured the time, the late 60s/early 70s era of Vietnam. It is a classic piece of Americana.

Casualties of War was by far the most disturbing. It is an excellent movie. Brian De Palma made an Iraq-War version called Redacted which was just horrible. He wanted to make a statement against the Iraq War but even opponents of the war condemned it.

Good Morning, Vietnam! was a great movie, but even the real Adrian Cronauer said it was unrealistic- he'd have been in the brig if he did the things in the movie. (Pat Sajak was with him in Vietnam!)

The Green Berets is significant because it was a pro-war movie about Vietnam made during the war, based on the book (which I read) by Robin Moore. It was filmed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and was criticized for its lack of realism- largely due to the filming location. I believe it is the only movie about Vietnam made during the war.

We Were Soldiers was well-done, the helicopter scene with the Scottish song Sgt MacKenzie was pretty memorable.

Apocalypse Now was always extremely popular with real military men, at least post Vietnam... I really don't know about Viet vets themselves. I knew active-duty Special Forces in the late 70s/early 80s who loved it, and a retired- SEAL who used to blare The Ride of the Valkyries from his boat. The scene in Jarhead, psyched up Marines watching the helicopter attack, cheering when they found out the First Gulf War was underway-- accurate depiction of how military guys love it!

I saw Platoon in the theater in 1986. It is an awesome movie. But I was very pissed at the rape scene, because this movie was supposed to be the portrayal of the typical infantry unit. Atrocities obviously occurred, but the rape of a 9-year-old girl was too much. Oliver Stone can be an @$$h0le. The Army refused to assist because they read the script and Stone's portrayal of blacks is horrendous- a real insult to black veterans. A curious note: Oliver Stone wrote the script fresh out of Vietnam and wanted Jim Morrison to play the lead character- he even had the script with him in Paris when he was found dead.

When I saw Full Metal Jacket in 1987, Platoon was afresh memory. It is an awesome movie, but I was disappointed in its recreation of Hue, which looked nothing like in the movie. Still an awesome, insane movie. Animal Mother was my favorite character, the Poontang remark... hilarious.

Hamburger Hill deserves recognition in its own right. A good movie about the war, the futility of it.

I saw a few others on the list, all those intended as a realistic portrayal: Heaven & Earth, A Beautiful Country, A Bright and Shining Lie.

Non-Fiction: I despised Peter Arnett's documentary on Vietnam. The guy is an @$$h0le. Oliver Stone can be a douchebag too, but he makes damn good movies. The best documentary overall on Vietnam so far, Walter Cronkite's Vietnam, a collection of new reports from among the soldiers fighting in the war. Cronkite screwed over the Marines, but it's a good collection.

Apocalypse Now was filmed in the Philippines, the Vietnam sequences in Forrest Gump, Thailand; Good Morning Vietnam, Casualties of War, and The Deer Hunter were also filmed in Thailand. Only "Under Heavy Fire" was actually filmed in Vietnam. Full Metal Jacket was filmed in England, with fake palm trees and a location bombed out in WW2 dressed up to look like Vietnam.

• mark

I really liked We Were Soldiers. Not a big fan of Mel Gibson's personal opinions but great movie.

Hamburger Hill

apocalypse now

Sorry, I saw a bit of the real deal. I did see hamburger hill, very over dramatized. Saw dear hunter, probably the closest to the way it was without all the hype.

I don't need the memories of what life is like on the other side of hell..

Hamburger Hill

We Were Soldiers

What do we get for ten dollars?

Full Metal Jacket

Platoon