Could she be depressed?

I'm thinking that my 14 ur old niece may be depressed. She and her siblings moved in with me 3 years when their single mother died. (My niece was 11 at the time.) She seems to zone out quite frequently. Everytime she laughs or smiles it looks so forced. She's gets extremely irritated when someone talks to... show more I'm thinking that my 14 ur old niece may be depressed. She and her siblings moved in with me 3 years when their single mother died. (My niece was 11 at the time.) She seems to zone out quite frequently. Everytime she laughs or smiles it looks so forced. She's gets extremely irritated when someone talks to her. Little details bother her. (Like if the dinning room chairs are not straight.) I have noticed faint scars and cuts on her arms and legs. She is VERY self conscious and also VERY shy. She hardly talks to me or any of the adults in the house. (uncle and grandma)When she does talk there's also harshness /anger in her tone.
Could this be depression or just some kind of phase? Or something else? (Bipolar disorder runs in the family) What am I supposed to do or say to her?