anne
anne asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 years ago

Service animal Question?

I moved into an apt that does not allow pets. I had asked the office knowing that pets are prohibited to please allow the animal in my apt. I was crying, and very distraught, I still got a no, and a eviction notice that stated I needed to cure the pet. I went to my doctor to get a letter approving my dog at home for my issues. The office said they will give the letter to the legal dept. Do i need to wait or can I bring my pet home?

• John
    Favorite Answer

under the law, both service animals (trained to do specific tasks like fetching medicine, detecting low blood sugar, etc) and emotional support animals (which are basically pets that a doctor has noted help improve your emotional state by being with them) are supposed to be allowed in housing that otherwise does not allow pets. i'm not sure what you should do right now, but i would look up the specific law in your state and show it to the landlord. if they still don't comply, i would sue.

you need to wait. you needed to get approval for your ASSISTANCE ANIMAL prior to bringing it in. LLs can annoyed enough by being forced to allow assistance animals, but now the landlord has every right to be pissed with you and be concerned you will break other rules...you need to be on your best behavior from now on..the slightest thing in the future can be used against you to terminate your tenancy--especially once your lease expires.

the law that applies in the US is FHA. Some landlords are exempt, but basically all buildings with 5 or more apartments are subject to the law as well as many smaller buildings.

• anne
      2 years agoReport

I do not care if the landlord is pissed at me. I do not need to disclose my entire life to him.

Service animals are like guide dogs for the blind, or those that alert their owners to seizures. They are trained, certified and registered.

What YOU are thinking of is an ESA animal - for keeping someone calm. Those are pets, they are not able to be certified or registered and any landlord can say no to you to keep one, especially since so many people have already abused the ESA title just to keep their pet in a rental situation, as you're trying to do.

You have two options. Rehome the pet with someone else. Or move to a place that allows pets. Landlords do not like damage done by pets. That's why they ban them.

My question to you is WHY did you move into an apartment that didn't allow animals when you had one?

• SimplytheFACTS
      2 years agoReport

NONSENSE AS USUAL..it is scary that you don't even know that you are clueless.

• MARK

You are in the wrong forum. This is zoology not law. Even if legally qualified people were here they cannot help because you do not give your jurisdiction. Advice could be given to you on based on the law where I live but it may have no application where you live.

It is reasonable for landlords to protect their property by not allowing tenants to keep any animal on the premises. Where you live the law may entitle you to have an assistance animal even if the landlord is opposed. Alternatively, it could still be your landlord's decision. Even if the law entitles you to have an assistance animal no matter what your landlord wants the landlord may still have the right to evict you.

Not knowing where you live it is impossible to direct you to advice. You should find organisations where you live that offer help and advice with your rights as a tenant and as a disabled person.

• SimplytheFACTS
      2 years agoReport

and Mark, you are level 7 and can move the question to a better category yourself

Here's the problem: you have used the word "pet" to describe your animal.

A service animal is not a pet.

It is trained to assist you.

You need that assistance.

Your landlord must allow your service animal, and to evict you must demonstrate:

o The service animal is threatening other people

and/or

o The service animal is damaging or destroying property.

You should cross-post this question under some other more relevant category such as renting or legal. I am not an attorney.