Any personal methods for quieting a chatty class that has worked?

I m a new teacher teaching 9th graders and about a third of them in most of my class periods won t stop talking. I ve thought about drastic measures such as sending them out of the classroom, but I do believe their are ways and methods to avoid that step. They talk when I m lecturing. any help is appreciated.... show more I m a new teacher teaching 9th graders and about a third of them in most of my class periods won t stop talking. I ve thought about drastic measures such as sending them out of the classroom, but I do believe their are ways and methods to avoid that step. They talk when I m lecturing. any help is appreciated. i'm in the middle of second week.

p.s. I m looking for methods that you ve personally employed and perhaps may be a bit unconventional. I would like to know some methods other than classic ones such as: stop talking until they stop talking, assigning seats, discipline refferal, etc.